Saturday, February 11, 2012

June 1999 - 24 Hours of Devil's Head


Merrimac, Wisconsin


Hi All, 

I'm still living. It was truly an awesome experience. I raced my bike solo for 24 hours in a row.

Here's how it went down.

I spent Thursday and Friday driving and arrived at the site on Friday afternoon. Sunny and Hot. Set up camp. Very small race compared to Hardwood. Only about 125 riders total. My neighbour at the site, Steve, was from Durango, Colorado and was also a soloist so we immediately became buddies. He won Donner Pass last year. We went for a big buffet supper with another soloist from Montana named Pat.
The race started at 12:00 as usual. Soloists got to set up a pit area behind the timing tent. John Stamstad was set up right beside me. The course immediately went up the ski hill all the way to the top (about 20 minutes of granny gear climbing with fresh legs). We then went down the hill about 1/2 way and back up again. Some single track, technical rock sections back down and then up for a third time, then down to the finish. It took about 50 minutes at a comfortable pace.

I rode slow for the afternoon. It was very hot. I drank a full bottle of Gatorade after every lap and rested for 5-10 min. I was eating Clif Shots regularly for the first couple of hours. The heat started to get to me and I couldn't stomach the Clif Shots anymore by 4:00 pm. Started to eat Cliff Bars and continued to pound Gatorade. Still haven't been lapped.

5:00 pm - The leaders lap me and Stamstad is not one of them. I got a pounding headache so I took some Advil. My back is hurting from all the climbing.

8:00 pm - Cool temps at last. Feeling much better. I've settled into a routine of ride a lap, stop, eat a Clif bar, drink a bottle, lube the chain, ride a lap. It is getting very muddy and I've lost 2nd gear. Surprise, Stamstad is out of the race due to stomach flu. His support crew offers to support me since I have no support at all. I tell them about my gear problems and 3 mechanics start working on my bike while I eat a Clif bar. With-in 5 minutes everything is thoroughly cleaned and shifting better than at the start of the race. They cleaned my bike every lap after that and the Stamstad family cheered me on each time I completed a lap. Things are going my way. The leader is 3 laps ahead.

2:00 am - Stamstad's have gone to bed and I am on my own again. Some other support crews pick up the slack and get me fresh gatorade and coffee after each lap. Bike is working well but I can't stay awake. The 20 minute climb has become a 45 min walk and

I log my longest lap time of the race 1:52. Fell asleep twice walking up the mountain and once while riding a flat section. Wrecked on a technical downhill. I couldn't tell what happened but I went over the bars. Bike is fine, I hurt all over. More Advil helps. Can't eat any more Cliff Bars. Pretzels and Rice Krispie Squares will have to do.

6:00 am - The sun is up and I feel BETTER! I'm hungry again and eat more bars. Gatorade is still tasting good. I'm riding up the mountain again. The Stamstad's return to work on my bike and cheer me on.

9:00 am - Oh man is it hot. I check my standing for the first time since the start of the race. 6th place, and 15 minutes behind 5th. More advil, gatorade, and Cliff Bars. No more stops til the end.

12:30 pm - The last lap is a killer. I ride hard to catch 5th but miss by 3 min. I gave it all I had. There was nothing left.


Finally finished my first 24 hr solo race.

I completed 18 laps. The winner, Steve, did 28. I rode almost the whole time and didn't bonk. My goals were accomplished. Food intake was: 14 liters of Gatorade, 6 liters of water, 6 Clif Shots, 12 Clif Bars, 4 Rice Krispie squares, a bunch of salted pretzels, and 6 Advil.

After the race, John Stamstad came to my pit area and congratulated me for completing the race with no support crew. He said that he rode unsupported once and found it much more difficult. We talked about the Iditasport and he gave me his email to stay in touch. Meeting and racing with John was a race highlight for me.

On Sunday night I got an air-conditioned motel room with a bath tub that you can watch TV from. A sub from Subway, a 6 pack and a bath tub. Life is good.

Still recovering.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment