Saturday, February 11, 2012

August 2000 - The Red Lake Triathlon - A Struggle From Last Place


"How far ahead are they?"

"Pretty far," was Joanne's only reply.

"Twenty minutes?" I asked.

"About that," she answered.

It was the swim to bike transition of the Red Lake Olympic Distance Triathlon. 1.5 k swim, 40 k bike, and 10 k run. The swim was across Howey Bay and back, twice. The wind was up, the waves were big, the temperature was cold, and I was the only Olympic distance soloist with no wet suit.

There are 33 people entered in the various divisions of the triathlon but only four have chosen to do the Olympic distance solo.

Evan Londry is a university student. He was in the race last year and had the third fastest bike split on a mountain bike. He was also a faster swimmer than me last year. This year he has a road bike. He could be tough to beat.

Vic Aniol is in his 50's but should not be under estimated. He has beaten me in a 50K ski race and triathlon is all he does in the summer. The longer the better.

Dan Morwood is from Dryden and I have never met him. Vic knew who he was right away. Dan won the Morden International Half Ironman 3 weeks ago. You should never accept defeat before the start of a race but, at the same time, it is important to know who you can chase and who you can't. Assuming there were no injuries or mechanical breakdowns, this would be a three person race for second.

We dove in the water at about 9:15 am. There was a heavy cross wind so we had to swim up wind of the plane anchored on the opposite side of the bay, which was the turn around point. I was swimming through some waves and over some others. After a few minutes everyone spread out and I was swimming alone.

I went at my own pace, pushing a bit occasionally but really just concentrating on proper breathing and getting the thing done. After the first lap I could no longer see any of the others. Were they ahead or behind? I suspected the answer was ahead. After swimming alone for the entire second lap I finally reached the dock and climbed out. After looking back, I realized that there was no one else swimming. I was dead last. Teams, solo, Olympic distance and regular distance, it didn't matter. They were all ahead of me.

I was a bit surprised at the situation. Not only that I was last but that I was so far behind. I felt fine during the swim. I guess that everyone else just felt even finer. I would have to really work hard on the bike for any hope of anything except last place. I put my shoes and jersey on and took off, weaving all over the place at first because I was still dizzy from the rolling waves in the swim.

I ate a Power Gel, drank some water, laid down on the aero bars and started to hammer really hard. My only hope is to catch people on the bike since my running is almost as bad as my swimming. Unfortunately, everyone knows that biking is my only strong event so they are pretty determined to keep me from catching them. The bike ride is a 10 k out and 10 k back route which we have to do twice. I meet Dan at about 5 k but he is on his way back. That meant he was a full 10 k ahead of me. Forget about Dan, I have to find Vic and Evan.

Shortly before the turn around, I meet Vic in second place and Evan right behind in third. I estimate that they are about 2 minutes ahead so I poured it on even more. Each time I round a corner I expect to see them ahead but they are never there. I passed a couple of the Olympic Distance team riders but still no Vic and Evan. Finally, just before the 20 K mark, I meet them coming back toward me for their second lap. They are still 2 minutes ahead!

Evan looks like he is really straining. He is in second now but just barely. I say "Hi Vic," to Vic but he only waves. Is he working so hard that he can't talk?

I re-evaluate. I'm only 2 minutes behind second place, not 20. Dan is so far ahead that catching him is all but impossible, as I thought it would be from the start. Vic and Evan are both working very hard on the bike and I don't seem to be gaining on them. I could really turn it on for the last 20 K and hopefully catch them but there is still 10 K to run. Or, I can hold this pace and hope that they burn each other out on the bike. I know that if I hold my current pace, I will still have enough left for a decent run.

In my mind, there is no question that this race will now be decided in the run. Even if I catch them we will still be starting the run together. Also, I suspect they are going so hard because they know that I will be trying to catch them on the bike, not the run.

The decision is made, I eat another Power Gel and hold my pace. At the turn around, I think that I have gained a bit but the clock still says 2 minutes. 10 K more and I'm back at the transition. Still 2 minutes behind. I met Evan and Vic running back out. Evan still looks bad but Vic looks OK.

Lucky for me, Joanne has everything ready. I change my shoes and leave immediately. After coming over the first hill, I see Vic rounding the next corner. Finally, someone to chase. I pick it up deciding that I must catch him by the 5 k turn around if I am ever going to catch him. That will still leave 5 K to catch Evan. Each corner that we go around I seem to be getting closer. I come over the crest of a hill and Vic is within shouting distance. An added bonus, Vic is closing the gap on Evan so I'm actually reeling them both in. At 4 K I'm running beside Vic. He didn't know that I was so close behind him. "Bill, I knew you were a runner all along!" he shouts. At least he is talking now. We talked for a bit but I can't remember what about.

Now for Evan. Another 500 m and I'm beside him, evaluating everything. I have to slow my pace considerably to stay beside him. That's a good sign. He can't really talk. He is holding his stomach every now and then. Evan has bonked. He'll be lucky if he makes it to the end in my opinion. I move away at a high pace, hopefully breaking his spirit. A few minutes later I take in water at the turn-around and head for home. I realize that Dan has already finished the race by now but that's OK because now I'm in second.

I don't think Evan has anything left but Vic is still a question mark. Does he have a finishing kick? At 7.5 K there is a long straight stretch. I look back but there is no sign of them.

I hold my pace and cruise to the finish. A hard fought 2nd place. I had a ball!

Vic came in 3 minutes later looking fine and Evan, 3 minutes after that, almost collapses at the finish. Dan had finished a full 20 minutes ahead of me. He is at a totally different level.

In the Iron Kids race, Spencer, 4 years old, completed his first triathlon. He was the youngest person in the race, training wheels and all. He was also the last one out of the water, just like his Dad.

In the end, this was just a warm up for Dan, Vic, and I. Vic and Dan are both competing in the Canadian Ironman in British Columbia in 2 weeks and I'm competing in the 24 hours of Afton solo mountain bike race in Minnesota in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sincerely,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment