Sunday, February 12, 2012

September 2004 - 24 Hrs of Adrenalin World Solo Championships


“It is going to be a good day.”

That is what I kept telling myself in the days leading up to my third attempt at the World Championships of twenty-four hour solo mountain-biking. So much had gone so well in the weeks leading up to this race that I couldn’t help feeling that this would really be my year.  In spite of a job change early in the year and many other commitments throughout the summer, my training went almost exactly according to plan.

Like last year, the race was held in Whistler, British Columbia. This place is a giant adult playground where it is not unusual to see a brand new Boxxer parked beside a1980 Volvo with the spare tire tied to the roof with a piece of rope. That’s the way this place is. People from every walk of life come for one reason, to play.

I guess that I came to play too but my game is a bit different than most. It is one of pure endurance, both physical and mental. Riding a bike for twenty-four hours on rough terrain in not something that I take lightly. This would be my eighth attempt at such an event. I have seen first hand what can go wrong.

Go too fast at the start and the race is over by eight pm. I have had this happen and it would happen today, but not to me.

Go too slow at the start and you are left with an insurmountable distance to make up at the end of the race and a feeling of emptiness at not have done as well as you knew in your heart was possible. I have had this happen and it would happen today, but not to me.

Ride beyond your limits and you will be slowed or stopped by injury. I have had this happen and it would happen today, but not to me.

Don’t eat or drink enough and your engine runs out of fuel. Like a diesel, once out of fuel, it is very difficult to restart. I have had this happen and it would happen today, but not to me.

This would be a good day. Those words rang over and over again in my mind.

My crew chief, Jack, and I sat at Starbuck’s getting cranked up on caffeine at about 9:00am on Saturday morning. It was three hours until the start. I was having difficulty focusing on conversation as we sipped. It is always this way with me. I know the task ahead. I know how hard it is. I know that sometime during the night my body will be screaming for me to stop and my mind will say, “No, you have more.” My mind is right of course. My stomach will reject food but my mind will force it in. My eyes will want to close but my mind will force them open. I know all this is about to happen. I don’t remember what Jack and I talked about that morning. My mind was elsewhere.

The first lap is always hard. Everyone wants to have a solid performance on the first loop around the course. Inevitably, I always end up riding with people who are about equal in overall speed but somewhat different in skill sets. That means some can ride technical single track well while others can climb well. Overall they are about equal but there is lots of passing as the trail switches to each rider’s strength.

I have been working on my single track skills quite a bit over the past few years but I’m still not even close to lots of people here. I did my best to keep up but during one particularly bad root section, I lost control, hooked my bar end on a tree and flipped over the bars landing squarely on my right hip. “Easy Bill, no first lap injuries allowed,” I told myself. My hip seemed OK and I continued on to complete the first lap without further incident.

As I approached my pit area, Jack flew in action. Food was already prepared for me and as I ate, he checked the drive train out to make sure that everything was good. In and out in under three minutes. That would be the routine for the first eight hours of the race.

I rode strong and as fast as I could, pushing a bit harder than normal for me. The course this year was very similar to 2003 except for about three km’s of extra single track. Lap times were consistently around the 1.5 hour mark.

By eight o’clock I had my light turned on and the long journey through darkness began. My only equipment upgrade this year was a better light and it was proving itself a worthwhile investment (Niterider Storm HID). I could ride downhill and over technical singletrack with absolutely no reduction in speed due to darkness. It really was just like riding in daylight. What a difference it made. Until now, darkness was always something that I disliked and hoped to end as quickly as possible. This year, darkness had almost no influence on me.

Sometime during the early evening I rolled in to find Jack using a flash light instead of the lantern to do everything. I asked if the lantern was broken but it turned out that he had loaned it out to another pit crew. Their rider broke his frame and Jack was assisting in getting the spare bike ready. That’s the way Jack is, always willing to lend a hand to anyone in need.

At about midnight, I arrived in the pit area to find a woman cooking Spaghetti. Jack introduced her as Rose, Tinker Juarez’s Mom. Tinker is a bit of a legend in the mountain biking community. He is forty-three and has been a professional cyclist since he was eleven years old. He was in second place at about this time but he had no way to cook food since his camp stove was not allowed on an airplane. Somehow, Jack found out about the dilemma and offered the use of our site to cook. I think Jack supplied the spaghetti as well.

Being able to help others turned out to be a regular thing for Jack during the race. He cooked for several of the pit sites around us and supplied mechanical assistance when required.  The role of support crew can be a lonely one. By the middle of the night, my lap times increased to two hours. It was comforting to know that Jack was not only staying busy but thoroughly enjoying himself.

At around 4:00am my bike developed a wobble on the rear end. Suspecting a broken spoke, I stopped and spun the rear wheel to see where the wobble was. To my surprise, it was perfectly true. I continued on but the wobble only got worse. Once in the pit I told Jack that there was something wrong with the bike so I was taking my spare. Rose was still there cooking more food. She suggested that we take to bike to the Mavic dealer. They provide neutral support. She knew them well through Tinker. It always amazes me how Jack reacts. He is a picture of calm. I’m sure that I came in very excited but his calmness is catching. He simply got the spare bike out and I was gone. The pit stop took no longer than any other. I headed out on my trusty old Kona knowing that all is well. Jack would look after it.

The Kona is a bit rough. It is a hard tail with an outdated front shock and compared to my plush soft tail that I had been riding for the past 16 hours, this bike felt like it would shake apart on every rough section. I made it through the lap, walking a bit more than normal, but otherwise OK. My Jamis was sitting there, ready to go when I returned. I asked Jack what was wrong and he said the people at Mavic completely disassembled the rear suspension system and could find nothing wrong. This was not very good news since I knew something was definitely wrong. But, if they couldn’t find anything then riding it shouldn’t hurt it so I switched bikes again and head out.

The problem hadn’t changed and seemed to be getting worse. About half way through the lap I was walking a particularly steep hill when I noticed that one of my rear spokes looked bent. I touched it and found that it was not bent but loose. A quick check of the others revealed that I had many loose spokes. So the problem was found. It was interesting that the wheel was not warped at all until there was weight on it. I guess that Mavic did the same thing as me. Spin the wheel, see that it is true and then move on to see what else could be wrong. It all seems so simple now but hindsight is always 20/20.

When I got to the pit I told Jack what I found. We were immediately swarmed by mechanics from the pit crews around us. It seems that Jack’s help with others over the past day was paying off. We had no shortage of suggestions. One thought that we should true the wheel and continue to use it. Another thought that we should take the bike to Mavic and switch the wheel with one of their wheels. They have a whole rack of spare wheels just for this purpose. Yet another thought that we should switch the wheel with the wheel on my Kona. All of these were good ideas and, in my exhaustion, I was having difficulty figuring out what was best. After only a few seconds of thought, Jack said, “There will be a line up at the Mavic tent and truing the wheel will take too long. We will change the wheel with your spare.” It wasn’t a suggestion, it was a statement. There would be no debate. Hearing this, everyone went to work. In about three minutes, we changed the cassettes, adjusted the brakes, and installed the wheel. I was on my way again.

The Jamis was back to its old self now. No wobble, just smooth tracking over the roughest terrain the trail had to offer.

As I completed my last couple of laps, I knew that my placing was not as high as it had been in the past. Jack never really mentioned it so I knew that he just wanted me to ride at my own speed and finish as best I could. If I had been gaining on people ahead of me, he would have been telling me this. His silence gave me just as much information.

I couldn’t help but wonder to myself what was wrong. I had ridden strong and consistent all night. I never stopped longer than five minutes and the wheel problem, though troublesome, had not actually cost me any time. Only when I started doing the math did I realize what I had done. This race would be a personal best for me. Not in placing but in distance traveled. By the time I was done I would have traveled further than in any previous twenty-four hour mountain bike race. A personal best on the most technical course that I have ever been on would be a great result for me.

As it turned out, I placed ninth out of twenty-one riders in my age group. The competition is getting tougher every year at this event. In ’02 I placed second, in ’03 I placed fourth, and now, in my best ride of the three, I have placed ninth. Yes, the competition is definitely getting tougher and the sport is growing. This turned out to be the largest group of solo riders to ever do a twenty-four hour race together.

I rolled in from my last lap, Jack took a few photos and I collapsed into a chair. I was completely exhausted. Everything I had was left out on the race course, as it should be.

It was a good day.


Some boring stats:

Age group placing                  9/21
Overall placing                       66/185
Total distance traveled           230 km
Previous personal best           223 km
Soft Tail Bike                        2001 Jamis Dakar Pro, Full XTR/XT, Manitou Mars Super fork, Fox Float R rear shock, Hutchinson Python Tubeless tires on Mavic Crossmax wheels, Time ATAC pedals
Hard Tail Bike                       1994 Kona Kilauea, Full XT/LX, Rock Shox Judy fork, Mavic 517 wheels, Time ATAC pedals.
Light                                      Niterider Storm HID

No comments:

Post a Comment