Saturday, February 11, 2012

August 1999 - The Red Lake Triathlon

If you enter enough races, it will happen eventually.

This weekend I entered the Red Lake Triathlon. 1 k swim, 20 k bike, 10 k run.

We were set to go at 10:00 am. The swim was an out and back course across Howey Bay in Red Lake. 20 seconds before the start we were delayed by 6 minutes due to an airplane taxiing across the race course. At 10:06 we were off. I was surprised to find myself only a short distance behind the lead pack. I felt good and swam at my own pace. At the turn-around I was still feeling fine so I picked it up a bit and seemed to gain on the lead pack. At 750m I just wanted to get this swim over with and get on the bike. I came out of the water in 10th place, feeling good, but over 4 minutes behind the leader.

The transition was smooth with the help of Joanne and Spencer drying me off while I put on my running shoes. I had decided to use toeclips instead of clipless pedals due to the short bike ride. I hit the road flying and laid down on the aero-bars within a few minutes. I knew that I needed to make up time on the bike since it is my only strong event. I pushed as hard as I could. I know that it will hurt my run to go this hard but there is a prize for the fastest bike split and I'm after it. Also, Paul, the electrical foreman at the mine, and I have a $5.00 bet on who will be ahead. He is a fast runner so I've got to put some time on him. I pass Paul within a minute of the transition. Each time that I pass a rider, another one comes into view. It keeps me motivated to see someone ahead. Joanne and Spencer are following in the car in case I get a flat. The bike is stripped to nothing so that I can ride as light as possible. I also wore my Camelbac so that I could drink without leaving the aero position. At the 10 k turn-around there is only one rider left in front. I inhale a Clif Shot so that I don't bonk on the run. At about 16 k I passed the leader on a 65km/hr downhill. What a rush! I was suddenly in the very unfamiliar position of 1st place. Although I didn't know it yet, I was 2 minutes ahead at the transition. Let the run begin.

I dropped everything at the transition and just started running. My legs were heavy and I was breathing hard. My stomach muscles were cramping also. I have been struggling with stomach cramps when I run for over a year now and I hope they don't shut me down in this race. I do some deep diaphragm breathing and it helps. The pain is mild and isn't slowing me down so far. I know the runners will be trotting by anytime so I decide to just run my own pace and enjoy my brief lead in the race. I suspect that I had the fastest bike ride and that alone is good enough.

At the 1 K mark, I meet Paul returning from the bike ride. He yells that my lead is not big enough and he will see me soon. I pick up the pace a bit. After all, there is $5.00 on the line here.

At 3 k I hear footsteps behind me and I prepare to be passed. I look back but no one is there. Weird.

At the 5 k turn-around Joanne and Spencer are there with water and a hat. The sun has come out and it is getting hot. Spencer cheers and I head for the finish line. When I turn around I am surprised to see no one. Where are they? Someone should have caught me by now. The field consists of several marathon runners and Paul is a national ranked squash player. I can suddenly taste a win coming. Only 20 more minutes and I'll be at the finish line. A surge of adrenaline rushes through me (maybe it was the caffeine from the Clif Shot). I pick up the pace some more. The stomach cramps are gone.

After a short distance I meet some runners. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are together and seem to be having their own little battle. I know the out of site-out of mind theory. If they can't see me, they won't chase me. I pick up the pace some more. Joanne comes by in the car and yells that I am 2 min ahead. Only 4 k to go. I meet Paul and he yells that he is pretty sure that he is gaining on me.

I'm flying now. Full strides, heart racing. At 7.5 k Joanne gives me more water. I look back. No one in site. I have serious doubts that I can continue the pace but decide to try. Mild nausea is creeping in but it is still mild. I push it to my breathing limit. If I puke, I puke, so what.

With 500 m to go I look back and see no one. Suddenly it’s over. After 7 years of various types of racing, I have won my first race ever. I'm thrilled.

It had to happen eventually.

Sincerely,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment