Sunday, February 12, 2012

September 2003 - 24 Hrs of Adrenalin World Solo Championships



Perfect Weather, a Broken Bike, and a Great Support Crew


August 24, 2003. Six full days before the start of the race is when I first saw it.

I was loading the van the evening before our early morning departure. Our family decided to use the trip from Red Lake to Whistler as a family vacation road trip. Visit some friends, see the mountains, and compete in the biggest 24 Hour solo race in the world. My full suspension Jamis was one of the final items to be put in the van when my eye caught what looked like a small paint chip on my left chain stay. "What the heck happened there," I thought.

A closer inspection revealed the answer. It was not a paint chip. It was a crack, all the way through on one side and part way through on the other. I inspected the drive side chain stay and saw that it was also cracked in exactly the same spot but the crack was not all the way through. This is not good. How could I enter the race on a bike with a cracked frame?

I went into denial. It's not that bad. It has likely been that way all summer, I just never noticed. It cracked to relieve some stress and now it won't get any worse. Pretend that you never even saw it. I loaded the bike into the van and went to bed.

I dreamt about flying down the mountain in the middle of the night and the back end of my bike falling off. The crash was spectacular.

At 3:00am I got up. The denial stage was over. I needed a plan. The first step was to get a expert opinion. My neighbour, Mel, is a maintenance foreman and was a welder by trade. I know that he gets up every morning at around 5:00am. I was at his door at 5:05. We set the bike up in the middle of his kitchen floor. Still covered in shaving cream and before his first coffee, he inspected the cracks. "Yup, it's cracked."

The only guy at work who is proficient at welding aluminum was on vacation. The welding machine that is best for this type of welding was out for repair. The part of the chainstay that was cracked actually has two sections. Only one section was cracked on each side. The second section looked fine. This meant that even if the chainstay broke, the bike would likely still be ridable enough to get me to the pit area. I was now in "educated" denial.

The bike went back in the van. Four days later we rolled into the beautiful mountain village of Whistler, BC.

  
August 28th

As always at one of these races, the first order of business is to pre-ride the course. I did this within a few hours of arriving. This course had a little bit of everything. Rocky technical root filled single track, short steep climbs, long gradual climbs, and scary fast downhills. I had to walk in a few places but, for the most part, I could ride the course without too much difficulty. Best of all it was really fun. When I finished the course I was excited about the start of the race just so that I could keep riding. This was shaping up to be an epic race.

I inspected the cracks after I finished the lap. No Change! My confidence surged. I was no longer concerned about the bike. It would last. I was certain of it.


August 30 - Race Day

Jack Lawson was my support crew during this race. I met him the week before when he was visiting his son Gil in Red Lake. Jack is an avid cyclist and since he lives within a few hours drive of Whistler, he offered to be my support crew. Normally Joanne fills this role but with our two boys coming to the race this year, she had her hands full.

Jack and I spent the morning putting the final touches on the pit area. At 12 noon exactly, the race was on.

Not much happened during the first twelve hours or so. It was a bit warm so I was taking in lots of fluids. Jack kept my bike running smoothly by lubing and cleaning the drive train every other lap.

Night riding proved to be a bit more difficult than normal due to the constant dust in the air. My headlight reflected off the dust and created conditions similar to a white out in a snowstorm. It was really difficult and frustrating to ride this way. I had to ride much slower than I would have liked but at least I was still riding. I decided that the only way to compensate for my slow progress was to ride constantly. No breaks. I pulled into the pit area, ate and drank something quickly while Jack checked the bike and then headed back out. Less than five minutes each time.

At one point I was starting to not feel so good. My energy level was down. Jack was keeping close track of how much food I was eating. He told me that I wasn't eating enough and pulled out a PB&J sandwich. I wasn't the least bit hungry but I took his advice and ate it anyway. About a half hour later I felt much better. Wow, this guy is good!

The late night hours are often the most difficult, especially when there are no distractions like bad weather or cold temps. The mind is left to wonder and the negative thoughts always come.

"Why am I here?"
"Racing bicycles is a stupid hobby."
"Racing around in circle for 24 hours is even more stupid."
"Why am I doing this when I could be enjoying the hot tub at my expensive hotel room?"
"I will never do this again. This is my last race."
"No one would care if I just stopped now. I think that I should stop now."
"This isn't fun anymore."

All of these thoughts raced through my mind between 1:00am and 4:00am. Each time I had to force myself to remember that this is all normal. I've been through it before and I'll go through it again. Focus on steering the bike and turning the pedals. Forget about everything else. The sun will be up soon. I gave myself these little pep talks every half-hour or so until I could finally see a hint of blue on the south-east horizon. Finally, the sun was rising.

Jack was keeping track of my placing in the race throughout the night and this also helped keep me motivated. Just after the start I was tenth in my age group. By morning I had worked my way up to fifth.

At 7:00am I rode into the pit from my 12th lap and noticed that my rear wheel had a funny wobble to it. I hoped for a broken spoke but in my heart I knew what the problem was. Denial was over. My chainstay was broken in half.

My neighbour, Mel, was right though. The second half of the chainstay held and I was able to ride the bike in. I'm not even really sure when it broke.

I thanked my lucky stars that the rear wheel didn't fall off as I was careening down the side of the mountain. I pulled into the pit area and yelled, " Jack, my frame is broken. We have to switch bikes." Jack looked a bit surprised but was undaunted. He pulled out my spare, checked it over to make sure that it was ready to ride and handed it off to me. I bet we didn't lose more than a minute due to the broken frame. Amazing when you consider the potential problems that this could have created.

My spare bike, a Kona Kilauea hardtail, was my only mountain bike until two years ago when I broke the frame during a training ride. The frame was repaired but I decided that seven years of racing on that bike was enough so I "upgraded" to a soft-tail. Well, there I was back on my Kona for the finish of another 24 hour race. I have to admit that it felt good to be on that bike again.

I finished the race and the Kona held together just fine (Thanks goes to Jamie the welder).

As it turned out, the race organizer placed me in the wrong age group and Jack didn't know how old I was so know one knew the difference. The people that Jack and I were keeping track of all night were not even racing against me. It's kind of funny looking back on it but it didn't seem funny at the time. Once again, Jack came to the rescue and got everything fixed.

Jack was a super human support crew: avid cyclist, mechanic, nutritionist, statistician, and psychologist all in one. I bet you wouldn't have guessed that he is seventy-five years old. Thanks a million Jack!

As it turned out, I placed 4th in the 30-34 age group but is that really important? At the start of the race my two sons asked me if I was going to win. I told them that I had no idea who would win but I did know one thing: I would try my absolute best to go as far as I possibly could in 24 hours.

I did that.






No comments:

Post a Comment