Sunday, February 12, 2012

August 2001 - The Leadville Trail 100


Leadville, Colorado

So it’s finally here. The Leadville Trail 100 Mountain bike race. The highest altitude one hundred mile mountain bike race in North America, held in the small mountain town of Leadville, Colorado. For four months, my training has been focused entirely on this race. Every ride, every weight lifted, every run has been somehow planned to apply to Leadville. Only the altitude would be an unknown, everything else I was prepared for, or so I thought.

It took me twenty-five hours to drive from Red Lake to Leadville. All to ride my bike for one-hundred miles. But, this is no ordinary one hundred mile race. It is an out and back route which contains 12,000 feet of climbing, goes to an altitude of 12,600 ft, never drops below 9000 feet, and also has a twelve hour time limit. Because of the time limit, usually only about 60 percent of the starting field finishes the race.

I got to Leadville five days before the start of the race in order to acclimatize to the altitude. Many told me that five days would not be enough but that is all the time that I had so it would have to be enough.

 The view from 12,600’

The day after arriving, Fred Wallis and I climbed to the highest point on the race course. It took about 1.5 hours of steady climbing but I felt strong and was able to climb at a steady pace of 10 km/hr. This altitude thing was not so bad after all!

The next day we went for a short ride around some local trails. A thunder storm, complete with hail, struck while we were out. It only took us a few minutes to get back but I gained a new respect for the weather in this area. When it gets nasty, it gets really nasty.

The remainder of the week was spent resting, eating, and hanging out at the Leadville Hostel where I met all kinds of interesting people from all over North America. Race day came on Saturday morning. I felt strong and ready. My goal was to complete the race in under 9 hours. I considered this to be an aggressive target but doable unless something went wrong.

The gun went off and so were we. Wall to wall people, 628 of us in one mass start. It was by far the largest group of riders that I have ever ridden with. It wasn’t long before the first climb began. I expected the crowd to thin but it did not. It was very hard to pass while climbing the narrow road so I just kept pace with the people in front of me. After that climb came a very fast, paved downhill section and then the second climb up Haggerman Pass. This was very similar to the first climb except that it was a bit longer. 

After the second climb came a long, rough, downhill which was pretty scary due to the fact that someone was always a few inches in front of you and a few inches behind you. The terrain was easy but avoiding all the people was not. This is called the Power Line hill and is more famous for the demoralising affect that it has on people during the second half of the race when you must climb back up this hill instead of going down it.

The first check point was a short distance after the Power Line hill. I arrived there in two hours, nine minutes. I knew that I had to be there in under two hours in order to have any hope of completing the race in under nine hours so I pushed really hard to make up the lost time between the second and third check point. There were no major climbs during this section. Even though I was going hard I still arrived at the third check point over fifteen minutes behind what I considered to be the minimum for a sub nine hour finish. I knew that it would be almost impossible to make that time up. Sub nine was virtually impossible  now.

The realization that one of my major race goals was now unachievable was a bit depressing. Long distance racing is all about adapting to changing conditions. I had to decide right now how to proceed. Besides finishing in under nine hours, I had two other objectives. One, don’t get hurt, and two, finish the race. So far, I was not hurt and finishing under the twelve hour time limit was certainly still possible. Therefore two out of three of my goals were still achievable.

After the third check point came the long climb that we had practised on Tuesday. I could only maintain seven km/hr instead of ten. I was breathing so hard that my jaw got sore from holding my mouth open for the two hours it took to climb the hill. I felt like I was working very hard but there just wasn’t any power in my legs. Also, there were still large amounts of people so passing was difficult and when one person walked, everyone walked. Not so fun.

I made it to the top at about the five hour mark and turned around for the return trip. I’m pretty slow at descending so lots of people were passing me.

At the bottom of the hill I was surprised to hear someone yell, “Bill, I’ve got your stuff!” Fred was waiting for me. He had been pulled from the race for not making the four hour cut off time at the second check point. Not one to dwell on the past, Fred transformed himself from racer to support crew for me. I had no idea what stuff he was talking about but I figured that it must be important so I slammed on the brakes and stopped. He gave me food and some other guy lubricated my chain, both of which I needed badly.

I had not planned to stop at the third check point where Fred was so I decided to go right through the fourth check point in order to make up a bit of time. About two hours after the check point I realized that my Camelbac was almost completely empty. This is a potentially dangerous situation. One of the main causes for people dropping out of races is usually due to dehydration. I was trying to figure a way out of the situation but could come up with nothing. Then I saw my salvation. A full bottle of Gatorade that someone had dropped on the trail. This was no hallucination but the real thing. I drank the entire bottle on the spot and continued on. It was only a few minutes later that I found a full bottle of water which someone else had dropped. I drank half and carried the rest.  At the last check point I filled my Camelbac and cruised the last 10 miles to the finish.

My total time was 10:04:23. Well off my nine hour goal. I was a bit surprised at how slow I was but I guess that the altitude combined with a crowded race course made it difficult for me to go any faster. I realize now that, given my current fitness and skill level, nine hours was an unrealistic goal.

67% of the people who entered the race were able to finish in under 12 hours. 40 people were admitted to the local hospital for dehydration, the highest number in the eight years that the race has been held. I’m sure glad that I found those water bottles.

The morning after the race I felt like I had not even worked hard the day before. It was explained to me that the muscles actually did not work that hard because there was not enough oxygen delivered to them. There was a 10 k running race held that morning as a warm up for the 100 mile running race held later in the week. I decided to enter since I felt like I had not been able to truly race the day before.

This race was not crowded at all. I ran with a guy about twice my age who was doing the 100 mile running race the next weekend. There was no way I wanted to be beaten by a guy twice my age, even if he does run 100 mile races several times per year. There was no way that he wanted to be beaten by a biker who rode 100 miles the day before, even if I was half his age. We raced hard the entire distance, neither of us giving in. I finished only a couple of seconds ahead. Although this race lasted less than 1 hour, I felt like I had actually raced when it was over. That is something I was unable to do the day before.

Proper acclimatization for the Leadville Trail 100 requires at least two weeks. Not having two weeks available was poor planning on my part. I really felt frustrated during most of the race because I was either being held up by other riders or I had people following one inch behind me trying to pass in areas where there is only room for one rider. It simply was not my kind of race and my result confirms it.

On the positive side I felt great during the entire ride. I rode hard for 10 hours and finished the race which was one of my main goals coming to Leadville. I saw and climbed some incredible mountains, visited old friends, made some new friends,

I’m really happy to have been able to complete the race but I will not likely return to Leadville.

Until next time,

Bill Shand

Finishing Time – 10:04:23, Overall Placing – 163/628, Age Group Placing – 76/299


No comments:

Post a Comment